Friday, February 27, 2009

It's Conference Time!

I know it's hard to believe, but conference time has rolled around once again. Conferences will take place on March 11th and 12th, followed by a day off on March 13th. Today I sent home Conference papers with your child's current conference time. Please sign and return the form asap, and know that although I will do my very best to accomodate your needs, your first choice may already be taken.

I also have to tell you that I've begun giving assessments in reading, and I am so proud of how well the kids are doing. They have really improved so much! I can definitely see the growth in the first grade words list. Thanks to all of you who have been practicing at home. It really does make a difference in learning them, and in their reading. It's also evident in their assessments that they are really beginning to use reading strategies when comprehending their reading. This is such an important time to really work on reading strategies. If they can begin to use them now, it will be second nature as they make the transition from "learning to read" to "reading to learn." I'm in the process of developing a document for parents to have on reading strategies that can help with reading comprehension. We've really been working on some of these strategies in class, and I love seeing them use when they are reading at their own level. Keep up all of the hard work at home, and please make sure you are reading with your kids. For some ideas, check out Reading is Fundamental.

No comments:

Post a Comment